Pages

Monday, March 9, 2015

Streamsong Red - Playing Conclusions




From the opening tee shot on the first hole I was in love with Streamsong.  The otherworldly terrain that this property enjoys is unlike any I have played before.  Coore and Crenshaw did a marvelous job (as did Tom Doak on the Blue course) of applying their minimalist design vision to the land to give a course the appearance of something that is uncontrived and has been here, shaped by the elements, forever.

While some people criticize the Red course for not flowing from hole to hole quite as well as the Blue course, I would argue that this adds excitement to the experience.  There is nothing quite like coming around one of the sand dunes to a jaw dropping tee shot on the next hole.  I think these variations added to my sense of wonder playing the course for the first time- never knowing what was going to be around the corner.

I have to say I think that the Red course starts very strong.  Holes 1-8 are largely great.  The first 3 holes feature enough water to keep you on edge and make you focus on the test before you.  Some would say that the first hole plays too hard but I didn't really care.  I did hit a decent tee shot into the wind and found myself too far out to comfortably go for the green on my second shot with it being so early in my swinging.  That being said, that was not the only par 4 I ended up having to play like a three shot hole.

Holes 9-12 are just so-so.  Not that there is really anything wrong with them, they are fine holes.  It is just that compared to the other holes they are a bit nondescript.  I think my opinion is formed mostly from their relatively flat terrain.

Starting at holes 13 the Red course really shines.  The 13th is a fine hole, and they just continue to improve. 14 is a beautiful par 3.  The tough 15th stretches out before you in the distance as you play the 14th.  After you take your knocks on the #1 handicap 15th, you are next rewarded with the best hole on the Blue course.  The 16th is just a flat out superb par 3.  17 is good, but probably the weakest of the final 5.  18 is a great finishing hole.  I just love the sand dunes towering around you as you play in and finish you round.

Back to the entire write up go here

No comments:

Post a Comment