Pages

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Playing Edinburgh USA

A giants skin game where I give strokes to 7 other people?  On one of the hardest courses in the twin cities? Sure!

A tradition going back a few years is a giant skins game held at Edinburgh USA in Brooklyn Park.  We usually have a group of 12-8 people.  We play a handicapped skins game.  This year it was me as low handicap (a first).  I knew that that speeled trouble, but oh well.

This game was scheduled a while in advance and I was really looking forward to it.  Unfortunately the morning of the event I got awful news.  Lisa's grandma passed away.  After talking with her she told me to go ahead an play, even though my heart wasn't really into playing a game.

I played with a ball today with the phrase "For Dorothy".  A great fan of the game I know she was looking down on me and smiling.  I didn't loose this ball the entire round, despite the myriad of water hazards on the course.
 The second shot on the par 5 first hole.  Your drive must avoid the bunkers but your second shot has to be straight to avoid the chute of trees to the green.
 Chung hitting his second shot right down the middle.

Me!  Hitting on the par 3 second.  Wish to say this photo captured a great tee shot.  It didn't.

 This is what happens when you slice your tee shot bad enough on 3.  He is hitting from the apron on the 8th hole.
 Chung dreams his tee shot wasn't taken by the ducks into the pond.

 Looking back down the 3rd.  My second is on the green.  I made bird here.  My one skin of the round!  Ka-ching!

 The tee shot on 4.  This fairway slopes hard right towards the water.  The better play is to hit at the bunker left.  This means not hitting driver. I hit my shot center of the fairway but my ball rolled to the edge of the water on the right.  I couldn't get a good swing with my stance and barely cleared the gravel cart path on my second.

On a great drive, this could be your second shot on 4.  Water down the left.  I hit my third shot from just in front of hear.  I hit onto the green and one putted for a par.

The green on 4.  Protected front and back by bunkers and left by water.

 The green on the short but dangerous 5th.  Behind is the tough par 3 6th.

The tee shot on the 7th.  A little intimidating if you go left off the tee.  This is a hard hole, being long to a small green on a domed hill.
 
The par 3 8th.  Wind and mind games come into play here.
 
The par 5 ninth.  I crushed my drive here.  I only had 200 yards in but missed making the green.  I did make bird though.

 The par 4 10th hole's green surrounded by bunkers.

 Looking back down the fairway of 10.

The long par 4 11th.  I hit a great shot down the fairway off the tee.  You can just mkae out my ball in this photo.

The par 5 12th.  Right is water doom.  Left is OB doom.  The second shot is a little easier but trees come into play before you approach the green. 


 The 17th is the signature hole of the course with its island fairway and peninsula green.

 Here is the 17th seen to the right of the 12th.

 The second shot on 18 often finds you in one of the many bunkers down the right side of this fairway.
 
Even with the days being some of the longest of the summer, the sun was setting on our round.

 
The 18th, and the end of another grueling round at Edinburgh USA.


Despite 2 birdies- on 3 and 9 I only managed a 86.  For Edinburgh that is good for me.  In general, not so much.  The abck 9 on this course is just brutal.  Absolutely killer.


No comments:

Post a Comment