Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Golfing Chaska Town Course

Wouldn't you know it.  After my lackluster performance at the Girard, I turn around the next weekend and play my best round of the year...

I went out to my favorite Minneapolis course, Chaska Town Course.  It was a hot one today but it was sunny and very little breeze.  I played with Jeremy, Lisa, and my Dad.

Jeremy and I played from the black tees.  My dad from the whites, and Lisa from the Reds.  The black tees are 6817 yards.

Hole 1 -  415 yard par 4


I started out well, making par on 1.  Something that seems harder than it should be.  The main thing about this hole is hitting the green in regulation.  While the tee shot on this starting hole is not the easiest, most strokes are given up around the green, especially if you go long into the deeeeep rough, or if you find yourself in the front right green side bunker.

Hole 2- 451 yard par 4

This hole has a wide open tee shot.  You can hit the cross bunkers with a deep enough drive (298 from the blacks).  The second shot is to an elevated green.  The second shot is where most problem occur.  I missed the green here but was able to get up and down.

Hole 3- 287 yards par 4

One of the signature holes, and I think where the course logo comes from.  A tree sits square in the middle of the fairway.  You can hit to the left of the tree to the green.  It is reachable but your shot needs to be high in order to avoid bounding over the green and into the water behind the hole.  The better play is to lay out to a comfortable distance off the tee and then attack the green.  I went long on my second but again got up and down for par.

Hole 4- 144 yards par 3.

A short hole that requires you to hit the green.  Anything short or left is lost and anything long will find gnarly rough.  I hit long and was unable to save par.  I carded a bogey so I was one over through 4.

Hole 5- 351 yards par 4.


Hole 5 is a risk reward hole.  You can play right off the tee which offers a wider landing area.  This way requires a second shot over water to reach the green.  The alternative is to hit driver to the left fairway.  This shot is riskier but offers a better angle into the green. Once again I hit long.  Not a good spot to be on this hole.  Behind the green are hills so you have a downhill shot to a green running away from you.  I chipped on but missed my par putt.  Another bogey.  Plus 2.

Hole 6- 187 yards par 3


One of the prettier holes to my eye, you must hit your tee shot to a green that is wide but relatively shallow.  I missed the green here again but saved par with a great chip and a short putt.

Hole 7- 521 yards par 5


The first par 5 on the course.  A huge fairway lets you really rip it off the tee.  Favor the left side.  Hitting right will block a shot towards the green.  If you hit deep enough and far enough left you can have 230-220 yard shot in.  This is what I had and got my second onto the green.  I barfed up a three putt for a par though.

Hole 8- 403 yards par 4


A straight ahead par 4.   A single fairway bunker down the right offers the only problem off the tee.  I stuck my appraoch tight and made bird.  Back to 1 over.

Hole 9- 561 yards par 5.


 A B-17 flying fortress flew over on the 9th.  How cool is that?



The final hole on the front is a dogleg right par 5.  Cut as much off the corner as you can.  You want to hit over the edge of the hill as anything hit dead straight can find the bunkers straight away (260 yards from the blacks) and also leaves the hole playing longer than needed.  I hit a perfect drive, the best I have ever done on this hole.  I had about 230 yards in from the middle of the fairway.  The second shot to the green requires you to have to carry the bunkers short to an elevated green.  I chickened out but hit my shot safely to the right into the upper fairway area.  I chipped to about 2 feet from there and then had my putt for bird ring around the hole and spin back out.  I tapped in for par.  With a birdie I would have shot even par.  That would have been a first for me.

Onto the back 9.

Hole 10-  413 yards par 4



Hole 10 is a tough hole that I have yet to figure out.  Off the tee you must avoid the bunker complex that sits slightly left of center in the fairway.  You must also avoid going right to be blocked by the small grove of trees.  Your second shot is to a narrow but deep green.  I hit my tee shot into the last bunker and had a terrible lie with the ball way below my feet.  I was able to advance the ball but missed right of the green.  I failed to get up and down and got another bogey.

Hole 11- 453 yards par 4.


For me , the hardest hole on the course.  It is number 2 on the card (hole 2 being the hardest).  Dead left with woods and a creek.  Anything right will force a layup around/over the trees on that side.  The fairway can end with a driver and your ball can find water if hit too deep straight.  Your second shot will likely be around 200 yards to a green with water down the left.  All of that being said, I scored a bogey.  I consider that to be like a par here.  A couple rounds ago I scored a birdie on this hole.  A man I was playing with (who was a regular on the course) said it was the first birdie he has ever seen on the hole.  Not today.

Hole 12- 190 yards par 3

A pretty but tough hole.  Trouble down the left and tree trouble down the right.  Again you must hist the green to have a chance, and that is not a sure thing on this rather large green.  I did make a regulation par here.  My score now sits at +3.

Hole 13- 381 yards par 4


If you can survive this hole you're doing great.  Off the tee you must carry wetlands that run the entire right side of the hole.  A couple of fairway bunkers are sprinkled in for good measure.  Your second shot is to a narrow raised green.   I hit long once again, ending up on the other side of the cart path behind the green.  I hit a great shot from there and saved par with a one putt

Hole 14- 217 yards par 3.
From the forward tees, the hole looks completly different without the water in play

A par 3 that requires carrying over water and hitting the green with a slope falling away in the front and hills behind.  I had another regulation 2 putt par.

Hole 15- 496 yards par5



A tee shot that is not hard unless you go right,  You want to hit down the middle if possible.  The hole doglegs slightly right before turning left again to the green.  The green is protected in front by a pond and hills behind.

Hole 16- 319 yards par 4

A short par 4 that is full of bunkers.  Most people lay up off the tee to a comfortable distance.  Jeremy hit his drive and stuck hit tee shot about 4 feet from the pin.  He missed his eagle but made bird.  I hit my tee shot and it leaked left.  Luckily I was still in play and I was able to get on in regulation.  I made my par.


Hole 17- 481 yards par 4.

Look, it's me!

A long par 4.  Off the tee you have to find the fairway.  Long grass is right and the fairway falls off left into trees.  Even if you hit the fairway you will likely be around 200 yards out.  I came up short on my second, chipped on and sank a bomb  for par.

Hole 18- 547 yards par 5


My pebble beach.  Well, it is really a far cry, but hey it is a dogleg left around a body of water, so close enough.  Tee off just to the left of the bunkers.  On your second shot cut off as much as you dare.  A smart player will play this one in three shots.  I hit my drive great and had a quandary.  I was nearly close enough to go for the green but I was not sure.  I decided to be aggressive and had a couple of bad shots because of it.  I ended up with a double on the hole.

When I teed off on 18 I had no idea what my score was.  I didn't add up my score at the turn and I wasn't really keeping track. Had I known I think I would have played it as a safe 3 shot hole.  Instead I got aggressive and scored a double.  I ended up with a 40 on the back.  I could have easily had a 38 back.

I carded a 77 but it could have been a legit 75.  With my lip out bird on 9 it actually could have been a 75.  That would have been my best round ever.  Oh well.  At least I am heading in the right direction.





No comments:

Post a Comment