Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Golfing Voyagers Village

The first round of golf for our annual Wisconsin golf trip was played at Voyagers Village near Danbury, WI.  I have to say while we were driving to the course I was a little worried.  It is in the middle of nowhere seemingly.  I couldn't imagine that there would be a nice course as we were driving through the woods and fields.  But I was wrong.  We pulled into the course and found a nice, kind of old school country club atmosphere.  The course was very lush and reminded me a lot of Dwan in Bloomington, MN.  However this course is no short track.  It is 6640 yards from the tips with a slope and rating of 71.4/129.


 The clubhouse

 The practice green and clubhouse.

The crew warming up with the morning calisthenics.

We had 12 people for the round.  We decided to play the first round as a 4 person scramble.  We picked teams.  Somehow I got to pick first and my brother and I paired up with Tom and Johnny.

 Before I go through the course, I want to talk about something this course has that I have never seen before.  A runway adjacent to the number 1 hole.

The course is part of a residential community and apparently this course has several residents who fly in to their cabins.  A bit of money around here.  We talked to some ladies at the turn who talked about how they played Hazeltine the day before and then flew here for the weekend to play and relax at their cabins.  Rough life.

The runway splits the 1st and 6th holes.  They have some interesting signage on the course.



We played from the white tees today.

Hole 1- Par 4 402 yards.  A slight dogleg  right towards the runway.


Hole 2- Par 5 505 yards. A dogleg left.  You can cut the bunker on the corner.

 Once you get around the corner it is a straight shot towards the green.

Hole 3- Par 4 360 yards. Stay to the left on this hole to have a good shot at the green.



 Hole 4- Par 3 184 yards.  A downhill hole with trouble short.

Hole 5- Par 4 425 yards. A dogleg left.  Again you can cut the bunker on the corner.
 After the dogleg there is a wide open fairway towards the green.
 I hit my shot on this hole tight.  We used all of my shots here for a natural bird.

Hole 6- Par 5 499 yards.  This hole is on the other side of the runway.  I hit my drive with a terrible hook and actually bounced onto the runway and finished on the other side.
 Bunkers in the landing area off the tee offer some hazard before more bunkers by the green.



Hole 7- Par 4 378 yards dead ahead.


Hole 8- Par 3 150 yards.  A relatively easy hole with sand awaiting shots missing the green.

Hole 9- Par 4 at 343 yards.
 The green on 9 seen beyond the practice green from the clubhouse deck.

Onto the back side.

Hole 10- Par 4 380 yards.  A dogleg right.

Kevin tees up his shot on 10
 
 The green is flanked on both sides by bunkers.

Hole 11- Par 5 474 yards.  You don't want to hit driver on this double dogleg.  The hole first cuts left and then right.
 Off the tee, your second shot needs to clear the marsh and find the left side to be able to hit towards the green on your third.


Hole 12- Par 4 356 yards. Pretty much straight ahead.


Hole 13- Par  3 177 yards.  Heavily bunkered on this par 3.


Hole 14- Par 4 338 yards

Hole 15- Par 4 338 yards.



Hole 16- Par 4 402 yards.


Hole 17- Par 3 152 yards

Hole 18- Par 4 -360 yards.  A dogleg right.  You must carry a pretty little fountain off the tee.
 See? pretty.

 My tee shot rolled onto the 100 yard marker.  Playing to a distance to the extreme.  However, Tom not impressed with John's shot.

We didn't score too well.  I don't even remember what our score was for the round but we played individually pretty well.  Our problem came down to putting.  Personally, I was surprised that my game started to come around after my Columbia league performance yesterday.

Maybe that is a good thing with 3 rounds of 2 man best ball to come.  Tomorrow we play Big Fish and Spooner.  Then Saturday is Hayward National.




No comments:

Post a Comment