Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Week 8 of the Columbia Golf League- Match play week 6

Week 6 of match play was today.  We finally played the front 9. This is the first time in match play I played the front.  We were up against Booby and Ryan a couple of ringers with a 7 and 4 league handicap.

After finally recovering the cold I had for a week I was feeling good for the round except for the fact my left hand was shaking all day.  I was a little concerned over that but it seemed to go away during the round. 

The evening was beautiful, with the sun finally coming out and the temps in the mid 70s.

I started out the round with three straight pars, having made GIR and missing birdie chances on every hole (Albeit none were real good chances). We managed to push all 3 of those holes and were entering the 4th hole needing to push to split the first points or win to get them.

Bad.

I topped my drive and dribbled it out 100 yards or so.  I hit a nice 4 iron that went a little too far left than I wanted.  My third shot was blocked to the green by trees.  I tried a fade with a 4 iron that went straight and had another shot short of the hole blocked by a tree.  I tried to play my next shot off the cart path as a sprinboard.  I pulled it off but it did not get very far up on the green.  I barfed 3 putts on the hole and ended with a 7.  Vigen hit left off the tee then went right and acquainted his ball with a couple trees on his way to another 7.

Ryan absolutely crushed his drive and had 160 yards into the hole.  That was a legit 340 yard drive, granted it was wind aided but ouch.  He mailed his second over the green but chipped close enough to 2 putt for a par.  Hole lost.  Side lost.

Onto the second half of the match.

Bad.

The par 3 5th was playing 200 yards.  I hit a weak 5 iron that came up short.  Flubbed a chip and carded a 5.  Vigen also had a 5, net 4.  Luckily the other team faired no better.  Pushed.

Hole 6 I hit a drive that went right and was blocked by trees.  Vigen tried to show me how to hook the ball which I did not do and proceeded to hit straight near the 7th tee.  I flubbed another chip from the gnarly rough by the tee.  One more bad chip and I was on but a long ways a way.  I did hit a good putt that got me close enough to get dwon on the next one.  A third consecutive double.  Barf.  Hole lost.

Hole 7 I hit a good tee shot down the right side of the fairway.  Vigen hit down the right too and found his ball in an under repair area.  He smushed hit 3 wood but went left under some trees.  I took my turn and murdered my 3 wood.  250 yards up onto and over the green.  My ball was just on the back fringe but up on a hill behind the green.  I barfed up three putts to get down.  Both Ryan and Bobby also parred.  Pushed.

The par 3 hole 8, I found the center of the green and 3 putted for bogey.  Barf.  Vigen hit long and scored a 5.  Luckily pushed.

Hole 9, again it comes down to the last hole.  We need to win for any points for the week.  I hit an iron off the tee.  Vigen goes right up on the hill.  I hit my second where it lands perfectly on the back of the slope of the green side bunker.  I rolls to 4 feet from the pin.  Bird made!  Vigen lips out his par putt.  Bobby makes par, net bird, cockblocking us and pushing the hole.

Good guys 0, better golfers 5 points.

Sweet.

The good news personally is my game is coming around.  I am getting my swing back from last year and my confidence is rising.  Bad news for Vigen.  Everything I just said about my game, reverse it for his. 





No comments:

Post a Comment