Pages

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Horse shoes and hand grenades

My golfing buddy Michael carded his first ace on August 12th.  Another golfer Paul, recently blogged about sticking a shot close only to miss his birdie putt.  I have never had an ace myself.  I have witnessed 3.  2 were seen in the same year. 

I have gotten very close to getting 3 aces in my golf-time.  The interesting thing was that 2 of the three close calls occurred on the same course but 5 years apart.

At Spooner National in Spooner Wisconsin, I somehow missed an ace when my ball ended up less that a ball away from the cup on the par 3 17th.  The ball was on the backside of the hole too so it somehow rolled over the hole:

That was in 2007.  In 2012, on the same course I nearly jarred the par 3 second hole:

My final close call was also a while ago, at Gross National where I collapsed the side of the cup on the par 3 7th hole.  That one was the closest of them all I guess but I ended up carding a par as the ball kicked a fair distance away.

Maybe someday I will get a real one but for now I have to live with these close calls.

1 comment:

  1. They say 1 out of 40,000 people who play golf will get a hole-in-one at some point in their life - my buddy at North Hills Country Club, Scott, has had three on that same course - two on seven, and one on the 17th (which usually plays between 220-240 uphill).

    In four days during June, I was one hole behind a hole-in-one on the ninth hole at Wild Rock (a guy who was with our bachelor party, who didn't even stick around to buy a round of drinks!), then two days later was at the Club and saw my friend, Dave, who on the next hole got a hole-in-one on the second, then the next day was playing with my buddy, Kyle, who aced the same hole.

    Why does it seem easy sometimes!? Not fair, Kris, it's just not fair...

    ReplyDelete