Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

Golfing Crystal Lake Golf Course

I headed down to Lakeville to play Crystal Lake Golf Course. I had booked here because it is fairly close to my father-in-law and I was trying to get him out for a practice round before we head up to Giant's Ridge next week.  Unfortunately he was unable to go but I did get to play with my wife and dad.

The practice putting green is large and the most undulated surface on the course.  There are very few flat spots to practice putting.

Crystal Lake is a really nicely maintained course that is not too long (6306 from the tips) with a rating and slope of 70.8 and 132.  There is water on 8 holes and a fair number of bunkers.

Wildflowers on the course.

We played under extremely hot and humid conditions and unfortunately suffered a very slow round of nearly 5 hours.
Lisa teeing off on one.

I managed to impress the starter on the first hole when I piped my drive 330 yards on the opening par 5.  I only had 160 yards left on my second shot!

Looking back on the opening hole.

On to the good news.  This was one of those rare days when my game was nearly all together.  From tee to green I was nearly flawless.  I think I hit one bad shot that landed me in a bunker off the tee on the 4th hole but other than that I was on point all day.
The green and back towards the tee on 7.

I am finally getting dialled in with my irons.  It is quite an adjustment to go from playing everything short of where you want and letting the ball run up to having to play at or past the target to account for the spin I am now getting on my approaches.
My dad watching his drive on 9

Despite my great play I ended up carding only one birdie.  I had a legitimate chance at 8 birdies though.  And by legit, I mean putts inside of 8 feet.  Unfortunately my putting game was just a touch off.  I left them all short but one!  If I had actually been on with my putter I could have gone just ridiculously low. 
Waiting on the 12th tee. We were stacked up 2 groups here.

I had 4 bogeys on the front (2 because I spun off the green).  And one on the back.  My bird came on the back too so I ended up shooting even par coming back in.  All in all it was a round of 75 (course par is 71).  My lowest round since last year at Pheasant Hills!

Hopefully today was not just an abboration and my game will continue to be this steady.  As I mentioned earlier, we are heading up to Giants Ridge next week and I really want to play well there. 


Minnesota is suffering under a week of extreme 90+ degree heat, but despite that, there are signs that summer is coming to an end.  A spotted the sumac on the course beginning to turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment