Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Golfing The Links at Northfork

Last Friday was another afternoon off from work.  I went up to the Links at Northfork in Ramsey to use my final round for the course from my common man card for they year.  It was a beautiful sunny day with very little wind, a plus on this links style course.  I actually looked at the wind forecast before making my tee time to ensure that it was not going to be windy.

I was paired up with a couple of guys and we all played from the blacks.  I was going to play from the gold tees but since they were playing blacks and I have a tournament coming up from the blacks I thought I would join along with them.

Neither of the guys had played here before and it was fun to be able to offer advise and tips on the holes.

I felt pretty good striking the ball today.  I have been here quite a bit and didnt bother to take too many pics just some more focused on the greens.

 Hole1 I hit 2 good shots and was just short of the green.  I was able to chip on from where I took this picture but missed my bird and made par.
 Hole 2 from the black tees brings the right side fairway bunker into play off the tee.  I found it.  I hit a good shot out of here but was short of the green and failed to get up and donw.  A bogey.

The green  on two looking back towards the tee.

Hole 3 I hit a great 3 wood that left me 140 out.  I hit a bad fade that drifted left of the green and found the green side bunker.  I was able to get up and down for a par save.

 Hole 4's tee.  On in regualtion and a two putt par.

The fun hole 5 with the hump.  I scared my partners from trying to clear the hill and they went left of it.  I aimed to the right side of the top of the hill and hit it on a line.

The bunkering on the back side of the hill on number 5.
My tee shot nearly made the green.  Had I aimed a little more right it might have been on.  I chipped on and made my bird putt.  Even par through 5!

The green on 5.  Two levels, front and back can make for some tricky putts if you are on the wrong half.

 The wide open tee shot on number 6, if you miss the bunkers.  I did.

My second shot had me on in regulation.  I would make par.
 Hole 7 played the left green today.
 The left green on 7 with the other green in the background.  I made par on this hole too.  Through 7 and still even!

 Hole 8 I hit a good tee shot and was passed these bunkers in the picture above.  On my second shot my right knee gave out on me and I pulled my shot into the grass left of the hole.  Luckily I was able to find my ball but failed to get up and down and had a bogey.  My knee was a little painful and I was worried something bad might have happened.
 The tee shot on 9.  Not my best effort as my knee was a little painful but it found the fairway, albeit short of where I wanted.
 I was a little far out on my second shot to go for the green so I layed up.
The green on 9.  My ball is the one on the fringe.  I was able to putt off the hill close enough to make par.

Through 9 holes and I was only 1 over.  Had my knee not given out on me maybe I could have shot par?!

 The tees on the par 5 hole 10.
 I hit my second shot from 220 out just left of the pin about 14 feet.  A ranger saw me take my second shot and where it landed, drove up to me and gave me a free drink ticket for making the shot!

I missed by eagle putt when the ball faded just before the hole.  I had a tap in bird though,  Back to even on the round!
 The green on 10 back towards the tee.
 My tee shot on 11 was ripped nearly to the end of the right fairway.  I had about 100 yards in.  I actually came up short on the green and spun off the front edge.  I chipped up and saved par.
 The extremely long looking par 3 12th.  The pin was back middle and I hit to the very front edge of the right most edge of the green.  A looooong putt that I did not come close enough on to make par.  A 3 putt bogey.
 A zoom up to the 13th green from the tee.  I hit another good tee shot here and was only 80 yards out.  I pulled my approach to the right edge of the green but made par.
 The green on 13 looking back to the tee.
 Somebody got in trouble here.  From the tee it looked like a house had snow in the yard. 

Sherwood forest is actually located to the left on hole 14. 
 My tee shot found the garden spot in the fiarway.
 My third shot was from about 110 yards.  Too bad I chunked it and came up short of the green.  After my pitch on died on the first bounce I was left with a par putt I could not convert.  back to one over. 
 The green on 14.  I have yet to make par or better here.
 The evil tee shot on 15.  I hit a 4 iron into the bunker on the right.
 What your second shot should look like, but mine never does.
 My second shot out of the bunker was kept safely away from the trees right but was short left.
The large deep green of 15.  I made another bogey here.
On 17 I pulled my tee shot left of the green and found myself in the lateral hazard.  I was able to chip out onto the green but took two to get in the cup.  Another bogey.  Three in a row. 
Stepping onto the tee I knew I had a good round going but not how good.  I never add up my score until the round is over- something of a superstition I suppose.  I hit my tee shot on 18 really well again.  Down the right side.  I found it at about 140 yards from the pin in the primary rough.  The ball was sitting down and the pin was back so I figured I would try to hit about 155 to compensate.  I nuked an 8 iron pure from the rough.  The ball flew high and just right of the stick.  I kept waiting for it to drop in the middle of the green but I never saw it down.  Walking to the hole I thought maybe I had found the bunker behing the green and did not see it fly in there.   I got up to the bunker but no ball was there.  Then one of the guys I was playing with said "there's  a ball"  I looked to where he was pointing.  Over the green and over the practice green behind the hole,on the strip of grass between the parking lot and the hole sat my ball.  A mere 4 feet from the parking lot and some 40-50 yards past my target.  I managed to hit my 8 iron from the rough around 190 yards.  The only thing I can imagine is that it hit the cart path between the green and the practice green. 
 
From well behind the hole I hit a wedge.  It looked good and stuck about 2 feet from the hole.  With one putt, I made one of the most unliekly pars I have ever had.
 
In the end I carded a 37 front and 39 back for a 76.  This is not only the best round I have ever had here, it ties my lowest round ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment