Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Week 3 of the Columbia golf league play-offs



So the final week of the year was yesterday.  After my unbeleivable golfing last weekend at Giant's Ridge I knew my string of great scores had to come to an end. 

It did.

Last might I had a couple of wayward drives that cost me some strokes but in general I felt pretty good striking the ball.  I was hitting where I wanted but I guess I had gotten too used to the great greens up north.  Granted, the greens at Columbia are tiny in comparison but I hit 3 or 4 really good high shorts that hit where I wanted them to the green and the ball just bounced like a parking lot and continued across the green and into the fringe behind.

It was frustrating to say the least.  I am a firm beleiver that if you hit the center or front of a green with a high shot from less than 100 yards there should be no way the ball does not stay on the green.  Especially when most of these shots were hit into greens back to front, so the balls were running off even up hill.

Throw in some crappy putting, not all of which were caused by the puttee and I ended up with a 45 for the night.  I even had my first snowman in a  looong time.  Yeah!

My partner Michael had a great round.  He shot a 40, and missed a 39 on a short putt on the last hole.  I know that one left a bitter taste in his mouth but it still tied for his low nine of the year.

All in all, we came up one shot short for the playoff win.  We had a net total of 130.  The winning team had a 129.  We did get runner up.  I also tied Tom D'Onofrio for low gross score of the playoffs with a 79.  Depending on the tie breaker used for that it might mean 2 more trophies are heading my way, but at least one for sure.

The league was a great time.  I am glad Michael got me to play in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment