Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Columbia Golf League Week 15 - CHAMPIONS!!!

The final regular season week of the year at Columbia and we entered into the week in first place.  For some reason we thought we would be in the lead by 1/2 a point but we were actually leading by 2 points.  This week we were supposed to take on Chris Coleman and Andrew Moeller.  They are the youngest team in the league and are both long hitters.  We played in front of them 4 or 5 times this year and have seen them crushing drives all year.  Unfortunately, they were both a no-show so Mike and I had to take on ourselves for the league title.

The way our league works is if your opponents don't show you automatically get 2.5 points and then to earn the other points for the week you need to better your handicap.  Luckily for us both Mike and I are playing really well right now.  Mike has begun taking lessons with Jeff Sorenson and is playing really consistent.  I have developed a strong fade/slice occasionally recently so I am less confident but still am able to recover in most situations.

This week we played the back 9.

I ended up parring the first 4 holes and was on in regulation on the 5th, the par 5 15th.  I ran my putt past by maybe 2 1/2 feet and ended up missing my short par attempt.  Arrgh!  Follow that up by a ball hit into the lateral tree hazard on 16 off the tee down the left (thanks Mr. Slice).  That led to a double and I was suddenly 3 over with 2 to go.  Luckily the 17th I had a good tee shot on the short par 3 but had a 5 foot birdie putt I couldn't read and missed for a tap in par.  3 over onto the last hole I needed a double or better.  I got on in regulation but left my first putt short on a cautious downhill putt.  My putt for par was about 3 feet which I missed.  I still got down on the next for a bogey.

Mike had a great round too, shooting very steady.  He ended up with a net 31 on a score of 40.  I had a net of 32 on a score of 38.

With us both beating our handicaps we were good enough for either of us to earn all the points for the match and guarantee the league championship!!!

Next week the format changes a little but with a cumulative 27 hole team low net tournament over the next three weeks.  The last week has an additional bonus game of low individual net.

This is my first golf championship and I have to say if feels pretty sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment