Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Golfing The Links at Northfork

Last weekend was terrific weather.  It was a stretch of days that makes you remember why living in Minnesota can be so great- that is until the snow flies or the mosquitoes hatch, or the humidity soars.  But none of those thoughts were in my head this last weekend.  Instead I got to enjoy the weather with a couple of rounds of golf.

On Saturday morning I played the Links at Northfork in Ramsey Minnesota with Mike Vigen and Keith Bridges.  The course is a links style course on most holes though a couple of holes turn into some trees.  I forgot my camera so no pics this time but I will be playing here again soon.

This course hosts the Girard invitational tournament that I play in every year.  It is definitely a challenging course and can be a monster if the wind is up.  Today the wind was not too much of an issue though it did impact a couple of shots.

On the first hole, a par 5, I striped a tee shot down the middle over 300 yards.  I only had 190 yards to the hole.  My second shot hit the green but ran long and was on the back fringe.  I ended up chipping too aggressivly and two putted for a par.  bummer with how I started.

On the second hole I again hit a great shot and hit a good second with only an 8 foot put for birdie which I made.  This was my first round that I have ever been on the negative side for my score.

It wouldn't last.

On the third hole I hot a 3 wood off the tee to play safe and avoid water on the right.  My second shot was 150 yards out.  I absolutely nuked an 8 iron and ended up being 40 yards to long with my ball flying into the long grass behind the hole.  Two strokes later I was out of the long grass.  A chip up and two putts earned me a triple bogey.

I ended up triple bogeying three holes on the front nine.  Each time was a result of my ball finding the long grass.  If you ever play here I would recommend taking a drop rather than trying to play from the long grasses.

All in all, I felt like I played better than my score indicated.  I ended up with an ESC score of 89 on a net 92. On top of that I ended up loosing $9 in bets to both Keith and Mike on skins and a new game called "Murphy".  This game allows you to call a shot not on the green as a Murphy.  Once you call it you have to get up and down.  If you make it then your opponents owe you money.  If you don't you have to pay both of them.

Better luck next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment