Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Columbia Golf League Week 6

This week we played Matt Allen and Tom D'Onofrio.  My course handi dropped down to a 5 this week after the solid rounds I have been playing.  Mike and I were in first place with a 3 point cushion going into this week.

We played the front nine this week.  On the first hole I hit a great drive pulled my second shot across the green and had a long put to a front right pin.  I ended up bogeying and we lost the hole when Matt chipped his third shot close and made par.  We pushed the next three holes and ended up loosing the first point. 

On the second half of the round we pushed on hole 5 and then won hole 6 when Mike hit a 3 wood onto the green and 2 putted for par.  He was getting 2 strokes on that hole and netted an eagle.

On hole 6, the short 480 par 5 all of us missed the fairway off the tee.  I was in the trees and needed two shots to get out enough to be able to advance the ball towards the green.  Mike hit into the water off the tee.  Tom hit 3 into the water and conceded his hole.  Matt was down the middle but flubbed a couple of approach shots.  in short, we all made a mess of the hole.  Matt and I both shot 7s and Mike shot an 8.  Matt received a stroke, and thus took the hole.

So here we are tied on the second half and down for the match.  We needed to win the last two holes in order to get any points for the week.

I hit a weak fade on the par 3 8th that ended up off the green to the left.  The pin was far right.  Mike hit his tee shot right on line and hit the flag stick on the first bounce!  He had about a ten foot shot that he drained for his first birdie of the year, a net ace!  Neither Matt or Tom were able to save par and we took the hole.

So one hole to play and we still had to win it.  I hit a 3 wood off the tee that ran through the fairway into the rough.  Mike also just missed the fairway left.  Tom hit a nice drive right down the middle and Matt went right into the trees.  Chances we looking OK for us since Matt was likely not going to have a shot at the green.  Both Mike and I were in between clubs on our second shots and both ended up short of the green on a front left pin placement.  Tom also hit just short of the green on his shot.

I had a shot that had to clear the left green side bunker and had the slope on the backside of the bunker to take into account.  I hit a perfect shot, just the way I wanted to, and wouldn't you know it, it rolls off the hill and right into the cup for another birdie!

Tom ended up chipping close and one putting for his par so the birdie saved the second half points for us.
We ended up splitting the total points at 2.5 for each team.

Matt and Tom were tough to play against, they each played really well when the other was struggling and that helped them stay in the round.  Mike shot a 44 and I had a 42.  Both Tom and Matt recorded 48s, though  each of them had a high score in there rounds (9 and 10).  While I felt like I played really poorly my score was not too bad.  Getting those 2 birdies to end the day helped to forget some of the crappy shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment