Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Playing the Links at Northfork



Another Friday out playing golf!  It was such a beautiful day that I nearly couldn't get out and play.  When I showed up at the course they said that the afternoon was almost full.  I ended up being paired up with 2 other guys and we headed off hole 10 to start.  My playing partners for the day were Pete and Steve. Nice guys, Steve was going in to get his hip replaced next week but he was still out playing golf.  Not sure how that is possible, but more power to him.

I teed off from the Back tees (Gold).  At 6639 yards and a slope and rating of 73.1/128 that can offer a bit of a challenge.  The course has lost some of its teeth late in the season, since our dry summer has killed off much of the fescue lining the fairways.  That means the course was playing even more open than usual.

Steve and Pete were great fun to play with.  They were impressed with my ability to drive past them from the back tees (They played up a tee at the Blacks).  That was a nice boost to the confidence.  I played well off the tee and putted great.

 The tee on 1.

 Pete teeing off on the par 3 4th.

 I cleared the hump on 5 with 2 rangers watching, and later congratulating me on the shot. 

 The tee on 5.

 The approach on 9.

 The 9th green and the setting sun.

 The tee on 10.  My first hole on the day.

 Steve teeing it up on 11.
 The tree on 13.

 The approach on 14 has been made easier by the removal of trees to the right of the green.

The course was aerating the fringes.  This is on the 15th green.

 The pretty 16th.

Bunkers on 18.
Pete hitting it tight on 18!

I shot a 79.  While that is not my lowest score ever, what made this special was it was the first time not carding anything higher than a 5 for an entire. round.





No comments:

Post a Comment