Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Playing BrookView

Today I got a chance to play Brookview in Golden Valley.  I played with Mr Vigen, Kris Gerber, and Mike's friend Damon.  As we started the round Damon announced he was going to be a first time dad in October.  Congratulations to him!

I forgot a camera for the round so no pics.  The last time I played this course I was unable to take any pics because it was pouring rain.  Todays weather was cool (upper 50s, low 60s).  The sun was out at the start but the clouds came in for most of the orund.  The wind was up and was a factor.

The day started out well for me. I hooked a poor 3 wood off the first tee but recovered on my second.  I ended up hitting the green but a tail wind pushed my ball over the green to the back fringe.  I was able to chip on and get down for par.

The second hole I again hooked my drive but missed the water right.  I had to lay back, hitting a gap wedge up over a tree to about 150.  My third found the green.  This is where the day started downhill.  I proceeded to 4 put for a double 7.

From there I had too many double bogeys.  I did manage to card a few pars, including every par 3.  The real kick in the teeth came on 18.

18 is a finishing par 4 that requires a carry over a pond in front of the tee.  Left is OB and right is another pond.  The wind was slightly into us but it did not feel like a lot.  I am not sure what the carry is over the water but I usually play to carry the entire length.  I think it is about 250. 

Here is the details of how the hole played out for me:
  1. Tee shot right where I wanted to hit it straight over the water- short and into the water.
  2. Re-tee.  Tee shot over swung and hooked right into the water.
  3. Re-tee.  Tee shot right where I wanted to hit it straight over the water- short and into the water.
  4. Re-tee.  Tee shot right where I wanted to hit it straight over the water- finally carried to the fairway.
  5. From there I was about 160 out and hitting into the wind.
  6. I hit an OK approach shot that had a bit of a fade, as I failed to come though on impact.  The ball balloned in the air and landed just inside the OB stakes left.
  7. Re-hit from the fairway.  This time I hit a really good iron shot that I aimed right to ensure missing OB.  The ball came to rest just off the green on the first cut.
  8. I chipped on (flubbing that shot but still amking it half-way to the hole).
  9. I hit a good putt that just missed on the low side.
  10. Tapped in for a solid 13.
Ugh.  Still hurts.  As I said the round was mostly OK but there were too many doubles.  I carded a 97, adjusted to a 90 for my handicap. 

I want revenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment