Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2012

First round of 2012

My first round of golf for the year is the earliest I have ever played in Minnesota.  Often I will play golf on vacation in Mexico in January or February but not this year.  Normally golf around here doesn't really become possible until late April or into May but we have set temperature records for nearly 2 weeks and on March 17th I had a little St. Patrick's golfing.

Now I wont pretend the courses are really ready for golf.  The courses are still largely dormant and the greens are a long way from good, but it was in the mid-70s.  What are you going to do?

We decided to play Francis Gross, or Gross National as they like to refer to it.  This is a city municipal course in north Minneapolis.  Since the courses aren't really in bloom, we decided no sense in taking on anything nicer.  Besides, for me after 5 months of hibernation, any course would likely be tough.

I played with my friends Michael and Keith.  Michael brought along his co-worker Damon to round out the foursome.  On the first hole, we all made contact on our first try and each of us actually hit the fairway.  For Michael this was not surprising as his last round of golf was only 15 days ago in Palm Springs, but for me I was shocked and more than a little relieved.

 The group heading out off the first tee.  We're all off the tee and on the fairway!

 A view back to the clubhouse from the number one green.  Notice the police cruiser.  Typical Norf Minneapolis golf.

 Michael about to rip one short of the green.  Look at that mid-season form already!

 Off the tee on hole 2.  I somehow managed to smash a drive that ended up about 70 yards short of the green.  Maybe a squirrel carried it most of the way.

 The 10th hole I hit 3wood off the tee and 3 iron.  Up on the green in 2 with a 12 foot eagle putt.  Left it short but made the bird.

 Keith striping one down the middle on 12.  Keith was on his game, he shot an 85 his first time out!  Player!

 Damon teeing it up on 18.  


I think I ended up with a 92 or 93.  I didn't keep score but I seem to remember Michale telling me that was what I shot.  Putting was an adventure.  The greens were really slow and not in the best shape.  I felt like I hit the ball well for the first time out.  I had a few shots that I made nice contact with.  Only a couple of toppers and such.

Overall a good practice round. The Minnesota golf season doesn't start until April 1st so no recording this one.

The forecast for next week is rain for most of the weekdays and continued above average temps (mid-60s) so things should start to green up nicely.  Maybe by next weekend we can actually see some courses in better conditions .

No comments:

Post a Comment